Archive for April 25, 2012
I have been told that I’m so friendly that I could make friends with a rock. I also have been told that I’m a good party guest because even if I don’t know anyone, I will get along with people… I take great pride in both of those comments and for being friendly and outgoing.
For me, I know that when I am the new person or unsure of something, it always helps to see a smiling friendly face or someone willing to put themselves out there by offering their hand. Also, I have found that being friendly has many benefits that count..
- You receive good Kharma points- we all have heard you get back what you put into this world – Believe it.
- You meet the most interesting people. – I have had the pleasure of meeting amazing, diverse people just by being nice.
- You learn a ton – You know those people you meet? They have a breadth of experience and for the most part, will be happy to share their wisdom with you so you can learn.
- You have Fun! – Who doesn’t need more fun in their lives?
- You can have a meaningful impact in someone else’s life – No one knows what goes on behind closed doors. That person you just met could have had the worst possible day and really needed that smile or encouragement.
- You stand out in a good way – People remember you. It is what differentiates you from the crowd, in a good way! When someone needs information or some help, they will think of you. This is especially helpful at work. Keeps you in the know!
- You feel good. – Think about how great you feel after you have helped someone out or met a really cool person. It’s energizing!
- Health Benefits – People with a sunnier disposition tend to be healthier and live longer. This quality of knowing how to be positive is something found in every longevity society.
- You can get unexpected benefits! – I have been able to go on tours of gov’t buildings that most people don’t get to see. I have been to concerts, shows, sports games, been given thoughtful gifts, hugs, projects, free meals, swag… You name it. All because I was nice and friendly. No one will go out of their way for you, if you don’t put yourself out there.