It was only me and another guy for boxing this morning which meant that Coach Mike had us work in the ring instead of on the heavy bag. It is so much harder to spar with your instructor – so much harder! Not only do you have to be quick on your feet at all times, you also have to be quick thinking too. In the ring, Mike works with us on our form and technique which is where I need to work. I am strong but once I learn how to use all the momentum and power possible to hit -watch out.
Here is a good site for some boxing info and tips: ExpertBoxing.com
Yesterday was the first day of school for kids in Loudoun County, Virginia which includes my two kiddos! And, although I love summer because we don’t have to rush around in the morning to get them off, I appreciate the routine of the school year too. I think kids are happier when they are in a learning environment and challenged.
Here are some great resources to help start the school year right:
- 31 DAYS OF SCHOOL LUNCHBOX IDEAS
- 25 Ways to Ask Your Kids ‘So How Was School Today?’ Without Asking Them ‘So How Was School Today?’
- Pinterest: Back to School Search
- Nutrition: Cutting Back On Carbs, Not Fat, May Lead To More Weight Loss
- Nutrition: A Call For Lo-Carb Diet That Embraces Fat
- Nutrition: Why do parents ignore childhood obesity?
- Fitness: Increase Strength by Integrating Yoga: 10 Essential Postures for Strength Athletes
- Health: Kids And Screen Time: What Does The Research Say?
Enter the Giveaway
Don’t forget to enter the One Direction Looks Collection Giveaway that I highlighted on my blog this weekend.
A few weeks ago, I took HB to her first concert - One Direction at Nationals Stadium. It was just as you would imagine it would be — lots of young girls, screaming, crying, singing along in their 1D schwag. There were a ton of Moms bopping along and Dads sitting in their seats wondering how they got roped into taking their daughters.
I’m not going to lie — I really enjoyed the event. It brought back a lot of memories of being a Duran Duran loving tween. And my 12 year old daughter LOVED it.
I took a lot of photos during the show – click on the concert pic below to see my One Direction photo gallery on Facebook.
One Direction “The Looks Collection”
One Direction seems to be taking over the world just like Duran Duran did in the 80’s. Case in point, just released:
Backed by Markwins International, it’s now available at Macy’s! I was asked to spread the word about a special giveaway to win one of these really cool Looks Collection sets autographed by the band. That’s right – signed by Niall, Harry, Liam, Zayn and Louis!! How happy would you or your daughter be if you won!? Details and entry method info are at the bottom of this post.
“The Looks Collection” comprises three keepsake tins inspired by One Direction’s globe-conquering albums, “Up All Night, “Take Me Home” and the latest chart topper, ‘Midnight Memories.” Each tin comes complete with everything you need to show off your personality. Are you a rock n’ roll girl, a fun party girl or the girl next door? We have just the right collection for you and illustrations to help show you just how to get your perfect look. All your beauty essentials are housed in a LIMITED EDITION collectible keepsake tin with removable sleeve, complete with ONE DIRECTION doodle stencils to decorate your keepsake tin and make it uniquely your own! “
Win a Looks Collection set autographed by the band!
If the giveaway widget doesn’t load, click here.
Thanks to BrandBacker for sponsoring this post & offering me an opportunity to spread the word.
My friend Liz invited me to try a new CrossFit that opened nearby for a Saturday WOD this weekend. It was a partner workout with 3 rounds of 30 OHS, 40 Pull Ups and 50 V-Ups. I have not really done any lifting for months, so the gift of OHS was felt all day Sunday for sure. I do miss parts of CrossFit but not all of it — so I have some thinking to do whether I want to sign up for a few months to see if the fire has returned. Decisions, decisions…
And of course the pull ups left me with some nasty open calluses that are very painful. I am never proud of them because I know that it means my form was definitely off. I used chalk but it was so hot in the gym that mixed with sweat, the bars were coated with a chalky paste.
Monday is Labor Day. I asked around to see if any one really knew what it was all about. Not many did, so here’s some good info about why we celebrate this holiday.
According to the US Dept of Labor site, Labor Day is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.
So, if you work in the USA – you go ahead and celebrate. Without all we do – our country wouldn’t be as amazing as it is.
If this is the end for Joan Rivers, I hope it’s peaceful. She was a significant force in her field and for women. Was she crass or unkind at times? Perhaps. But I, for one, thank her for being strong and smart and funny. For a young girl growing up in stuffy Connecticut, Joan was a breath of fresh air. Her influence was far greater than she ever knew.
I’m sending good health vibes to the amazing Joan Rivers…
- Life Lessons: 4 Reasons We Become Slacker Moms
- Life Lessons: I’m Charlotte Church. And This Is How Women Are Routinely Demoralized by the Music Industry…
- Life Lessons: Being Special Isn’t So Special
- Fitness: What Will You Do Today?
Saturday CrossFit WOD
Hope everyone has a wonderful and safe Labor Day Weekend. I’m going to spend time with my kiddos and hubby before school is back in session and our lives start to get more chaotic!
- Nutrition: The Truth Behind the High-Fat-Low-Carb Cult
- Life Lessons: Srikumar Rao: How Leaders Can Rethink Happiness
- Health: I Could Not Find A Cure For My Acne Until …
An extra post today to close out my 5 days of sharing what I’m thankful for:
- 1. I’m thankful for my strong personality. Some may think it’s a blessing and a curse but I disagree. It’s important for people to know where you stand.
- 2. I’m thankful for my ability to make friends ‘with a rock’. It has come in handy in many situations over the years.
- 3. I’m thankful for the perspective that I developed during my husband’s cancer treatment. The people I met, the friends who supported us, the things I saw, and the situations that made me uncomfortable – all of them were gifts and have helped me to remember how important it is to constantly revisit what’s important to me in my life.
I am not going to nominate anyone, but I encourage every one out there to stop, breathe and really look at what blessings you have in your life. Sure, things can always be better, but they sure as hell can be a lot worse!
Have you had a chance to watch Jon Stewart’s brilliant response to Fox’s news coverage of Ferguson? I rarely post stuff about this sort of situation on my blog, but I really saw a different side of things after watching Jon Stewart and the Daily Show’s take on what is going on. I never really in depth wise too a look at how life is really different for black people — and now, my eyes are open.
Sleeping Is Essential For Restoration and Recovery
Switching gears, I love what this article is recommending: You Can’t Get Too Much Sleep! I love sleeping and taking naps and now I have proof it’s good for me. Essentially, the research shows that…
“The body’s major restorative functions “like muscle growth, tissue repair, protein synthesis, and growth hormone release occur mostly, or in some cases only, during sleep,” Harvard Medical School explains. It makes sense that athletes who tax their muscles more than the average person need more sleep to fix the damage. It appears that extra, above eight-hour sleep benefits athletes rather than contributing to an early demise. “You can never get ‘too much’ sleep,” University of Pennsylvania sleep researcher Dr. Sigrid Veasey wrote Outside in an email. “When you have had enough sleep you will wake up.” “
The morale of the article is to make sure you are getting enough shut eye to recover and restore. One suggestion I have is to not bring your computer or tablet into bed with you at night. It throws off your circadian rhythms and can cause issues with sleep. And no one has time for that!
- Health: How Chronic Stress Leads to Hormone Imbalance
- Life Lessons: The abrasiveness trap: High-achieving men and women are described differently in reviews
- Life Lessons: 7 Career-Changing Tips That No One’s Ever Told You
Kindness never goes out of style
I came across another wonderful story about the kindness displayed by Robin Williams. You won’t regret reading it:
I’m on Day 4 of 5, sharing what I am thankful for:
- 1. I’m thankful for my large network of good people. I’ve learned so much from them and they have helped me in so many ways over the years.
- 2. I’m thankful for salad. Any one that knows me well, knows I love me a good salad.
- 3. I’m thankful for laughter. It has gotten me through many tough situations.
- Life Lessons: The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit (really interesting insight into how not having human companionship for years (and I mean years) can affect you)
- Life Lessons: The Procrastination Doom Loop—and How to Break It
- Life Lessons: 6 Reasons Men Are Bad at Sex
Have you ever heard of Eating for your Blood Type? I’ve been doing some looking into eating certain kinds of foods and the effect they have on different people and thought this was an interesting idea. There are some out there that say it has no effect – but I would imagine it has at least a little. They have proven that certain blood types are more prone to certain diseases, so why wouldn’t your genetic makeup and blood type have some effect on how your body responds to food. It’s definitely interesting…
3 things I’m thankful for daily for the next 5 days. Day 3…
1. I’m thankful for naps. I feel so much better after a good, relaxing nap.
2. I’m thankful for exercise. I love feeling strong and fit.
3. I’m thankful for coffee. No explanation needed.
- Fitness: A Ridiculously Awesome, yet brief, Guide to Double Unders
- Health: Why BMI Is a Big Fat Scam
It’s either a rest day or an evening workout kind of day — we shall see!
Yesterday, I met up with two of my dearest friends. One of the greatest things my fitness journey has brought into my life is the opportunity to meet some amazing people. Lani and Liz are two of those people I met almost three years ago at CrossFit. We will not see each other for a while and go have lunch and pick up right where we left off. They make me laugh, help me see life with a different perspective and definitely ‘get’ me.
I sometimes ‘worry’ about the fact that many of my friends are quite a bit younger than me. When you are so active in the fitness community, I think you attract a younger group of people into your life. I don’t feel my age and I don’t think I look my age, so it only makes sense that many of the people I hang out with are younger. I don’t necessarily see age when I am with others — although there are definitely times when it becomes abundantly clear I am from a different era.
I think everyone should have some group of friends who are younger – It keeps you on your toes and offers you a fresher perspective on life experiences. It’s when you start to dress like you are their age and/or stop relating to your husband or friends your age that there is an issue.
I like to think I am their older sister –and they certainly don’t make me feel like there is something wrong -it’s just more of a self awareness I have about my circle of friends lately.
Day 2 of sharing things I am thankful for:
- I’m thankful for my brothers and sisters. We are all different yet so much the same, have each other’s backs no matter the case, and are happy and healthy human beings.
- I’m thankful for good friends who understand and ‘get’ my passionate personality.
- I’m thankful for good music. A good beat can uplift me any time of the day.
- Life Lessons: BUDGETING YOUR ENERGY
- Health: Six Tips For Better Napping
- Health: Study Finds Girls Now Enter Puberty Even Earlier Than Previously Thought
Boxing – not my most productive session. I didn’t sleep well last night and have had a headache on and off since yesterday which obviously affects my morning workout.